Field Dependency in salesforce
Field dependency means, controlling a fields value based on the other field. For example, there are two fields called Country & State. I want to display only states related specific selected country when I select country.
More point about dependent fields
- The value selected in the controlling field affects the values available in the dependent field.
- A dependent field works in conjunction with a controlling field to filter its values.
- We can define custom picklist fields as controlling or dependent fields.
- Standard picklist filed must be controlling fields. We cannot define standard picklist fields as dependent fields.
- We can define default values for controlling field. But we cannot define default fields for dependent fields.
- We cannot define multi-select picklist as controlling.
- We can define checkbox as controlling field only.
Below table may helps you to understand about which fields can be used as controlling & dependent fields.